Excuses are part of every parent’s life. Kids always have an excuse as to why they can’t do something you’ve asked them to do. I thought I’d share some of the gems my boys have come up with over the year. Naturally, this was inspired by the Mayor’s most recent excuse when I dared to ask him to take out the dog. So here’s the list in no particular order.
- “I can’t, I just put my socks on.” – The Mayor when asked to take a shower after his hockey game.
- “I can’t, it’s too dark outside for me.” – The Mayor when asked to take Athena out tonight.
- “I can’t, I’m drinking my milk.” All of the boys when asked to do various things ranging from chores to homework.
- “I can’t, I’m about to eat.” All of them.
- “I can’t, there are toads outside.” The younger two when asked to take out the dogs.
- “I can’t, he’s too strong for me.” The younger two when asked to take Anakin out.
- “I can’t, I have to take a shower.” Ironically, this one also comes from the Mayor.
I feel like I’m missing a bunch and they’ll probably come to me later. Nevertheless, they’ve come up with some frustratingly yet funny. Naturally, I’ll have to adjust the Mayor’s curfew to coincide with his new found fear of the dark. Fortunately, I’m not afraid of the dark, so I took my sweet Piggie back outside. She’s definitely not quick to do her business, but I encounter nothing scary while waiting for her.
One excuse that has never made into the list of excuses in this house is “I can’t, I have homework to do.” Parenting is definitely and exercise in patience with the occasional mental and emotional breakdown peppered in their for fun. I’m sure as we finish the high school years and move into the college years, our younger two will come up with some great excuses.